Having given thanks last weekend for the incredible wonders of the American healthcare system, and since Christmas is the time to ask for the things we dream about, I thought I’d start a small list of the things we’d like Santa to help us with in 2017 to really make a dent in improving America’s health. We don’t have long to get the list up to the North Pole before December 25th, so please Like/Comment/Share and add your thoughts below!
- A global recognition that caregiver burnout and compassion fatigue exist, that they’re bad for patients and caregivers alike (see November’s Journal of Perinatology for more evidence this is true), that there is something we can do about it, and that its about time we do so.
- A reimbursement system that aligns true population health outcomes – healthier people spending less time in the healthcare system and more time at home, at work, and at play – with the interventions that actually help achieve them (e.g., addressing social determinants of health, better coordination of care, and access to care anywhere, anytime).
- An electronic medical record that is grounded in the clinician-patient relationship instead of the dystopian interactions between clinicians and governments, payers, lawyers, auditors, etc. etc. etc.
- Relief from the kinds of regulations that limit innovation in care delivery to allow truly disruptive forces into healthcare… we needed the Wright brothers, not the Vanderbilts, to imagine airplanes in an era of railroads.
- An undergraduate and graduate medical education system that doesn’t leave newly minted doctors with a second mortgage of medical school debt… a mortgage that’s nearly guaranteed to have only grown larger during 3-10 years of deferment / forbearance during residency and fellowship.
- A commitment at the local, state, and federal levels to honestly address the behavioral health crisis in America by resourcing the system at a level that will actually provide the coordinated care needed to improve patients’ lives.
Add your additions to the list in the Comments… and while our Christmas wishes may not all come true, recall the words of JFK:
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”